Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Air Bag Retrofit 1990 Eagle 15 (Drive Axle)

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
JeffreyBryanMeek
Bus Model: '90 Model 15
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Air Bag Retrofit 1990 Eagle 15 (Drive Axle)

Post by JeffreyBryanMeek »

Decided To start a new thread for this build. All questions about the build are welcome and encouraged. 1st I'll upload some screenshots of the CAD work for the preliminaries. After that I'll upload photos of the components as they are cut. Then continue with the install, air hookups, leveling valves, etc. Thank you for watching and I hope you enjoy.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Re: Air Bag Retrofit 1990 Eagle 15

This is the 1st stage of the mounts that attaches to the torsion tube. There will be an upper and a lower on both sides of the tube. 4 pieces total on each side of the bus.
This is the 1st stage of the mounts that attaches to the torsion tube. There will be an upper and a lower on both sides of the tube. 4 pieces total on each side of the bus.
This is the right mounting sub-frame to be added to the eagle frame.
This is the right mounting sub-frame to be added to the eagle frame.
This obviously the Torsion tube itself.
This obviously the Torsion tube itself.
As you are looking into the wheel well on the Driver side. This is the left portion of the factory frame structure.
As you are looking into the wheel well on the Driver side. This is the left portion of the factory frame structure.

Please ask any questions and comments are definitely encouraged.
Attachments
As you are looking into the wheel well on the Driver side. This is the right portion of the factory frame structure. This image is reversed.
As you are looking into the wheel well on the Driver side. This is the right portion of the factory frame structure. This image is reversed.
As you are looking into the wheel well on the Driver side. This is the center portion of the factory frame structure.
As you are looking into the wheel well on the Driver side. This is the center portion of the factory frame structure.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

OMG, this is going to get good!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us. Will you offer the parts for sale in the future?

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Yes, it will be our intention to offer the parts for sale in a "kit" form. Due to the huge liabilities we would leave the final welding and install to the end user however, the the end "kit" product will be a very easy project for the DIY guy. Pricing will be extremely competitive and this will be The strongest mounting system available. I also have a model 5 available to here so that I can design a kit for them also. Thank you for your interest.

BTW... We cut some of the finished parts last night. I will post photos later in the day.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

The wheel well structure in CAD.
The wheel well structure in CAD.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Final (maybe) drawing. I hope everyone approves.
Final (maybe) drawing. I hope everyone approves.
davida
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10

Post by davida »

I thought about doing this to my model 10 years ago for air leveling while parked but the owner at Southern Oregon Diesel talked me out of it. Said I'd be disappointed. I'm not discouraging you, but when I was preparing to do this, Norris at Jefferson Truck sent me the shop drawings from the maintenance manual of a model 15 that had air bags installed over torsalastic springs. It had everything I needed to fabricate the steel to do this. Norris has since retired, but maybe if you call Ed at Jefferson, he could fax you the same drawings. It would keep you from reinventing the wheel and should be very helpful to you.

These also might be helpful:

http://boxcarokie.com/2010/05/01/air-bag-project-2007/ Sonnie past away not long ago, so he is no longer with us.

http://pipesusmc.tripod.com/Kaykay.htm

David
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

I have just finished an air bag system on our drive axle. I used a pair of double bellows 5000# bags on each side. Just did a test drive yesterday and we both like it. In the AM we are starting our fall migration toward Tucson. time will tell how it shakes out. Our 01 was down to about 2" of room to the bump stop and the driveway entrances were bad to scrape up to 46" om the wheel well that seems to not happen. and RR tracks were really smooth
LeRoy
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Davida, I haven't seen the wheel yet... Our shop does this sort of fabrication daily. I kinda feel as though we are invention the wheel not reinventing it. :D
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

LeRoy, Congrats on your new install. I hope it rides outstanding on your trip. Good luck.