Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Baggage door troubles

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
jimsimsii
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15 Wide body

Baggage door troubles

Post by jimsimsii »

I recently installed a new rubber baggage door hinge. It lasted 3 days before it split the full length. Did I do something wrong or is this a common problem? Rubber was really soft. I used dawn dish soap for lubrication. Any other options for hinges?
Jim Sims
Central Michigan
88 Eagle 15 6v92
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Baggage door troubles

Post by Dreamscape »

Something is wrong. I installed new bay hinge rubber on one door 5 years ago and it's still good.

Where did you get the rubber? I would ask for more from hopefully newer stock.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Jim if you bought from the guy in Ks or Mohawk for a buck a ft not good Jefferson had some of the cheap stuff for a while.

I paid 5 bucks a ft for mine 10 years ago still looked as good a new when Matt bought the bus.

Paul his doors on the 15 works different than a 01 his hinges carry's the full weight of the door all the time.If and when I ever get back home I may have a roll of the Hayplon hinge rubber I 'll send you

Dawn is not good for rubbber hinges people use it all the time but I found tire lube from Napa is the best or pipe joint lube from a plumbing supply doesn't do any harm to the rubber just my way of doing it

Clifford
jimsimsii

Post by jimsimsii »

Thanks Clifford. I'm heading to Disney in early June so there isn't any rush. I'm gonna work on all the little fixes when I return.
Jim Sims
Central Michigan
88 Eagle 15 6v92
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Jim,
I too believe you got old, very old stock or a cheap version of what you need. I might also suggest that you try to contact Ed Galant for stainless steel hinges he makes to also use with your rubber hinge. They are about 4 inches in length, are the same dimensions in height as the rubber and you put one on each end of your door hinge slot, this will make your rubber hinge last forever from use as the stainless steel hinge on each end takes off pressure on the total rubber hinge. This is a good investment, and you never have to worry about it again.

It was dark out and I just took this photo to show you one of the two hinges used on each baggage door I got from Ed Galant.

Garylee
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
jimsimsii

Post by jimsimsii »

Hey Clifford, did you ever locate any hayplon hinge rubber for me? Or where can I purchase enough for a hinge or three? I guess the stuff I got earlier was bad. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Sims
Central Michigan
88 Eagle 15 6v92