Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Model 10 Window and air bag suspension discussion

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
jcb
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Re: Model 10 Window

Post by jcb »

Update: I see in my posts that I inadvertently did not make it clear that I was referring to the front WINDSHIELD. Walter apparently went ahead a removed a side window from his parts bus, and once I realized the confusion and explained it better, stopped communicating. Even though I offered to buy the window anyway, I never heard from him again. Very sorry about that, and it should be a lesson to others to avoid being a nimrod like me, and make things clear. My sincere apologies to Walter for my screw up.
I did find a replacement through my insurance company, purchased new rubber gasket, and am waiting for warmer weather than the present low 20’s to have it installed. Very long and difficult process pulling this all together, but there are still Windshield ‘s to be had. Which is a good thing.
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
Tour Bus Conversion Ex-Senator Coach
http://www.thejimcummingsband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Jim, I just saw your recent post. You might have missed some Emails I sent back in early May, 2019. I sent three to your Soundsta address, one had pictures of the windows, and there was a report on the condition of the windshields. I realize you are busy, so when I did not hear back, I thought you had found another source. It's good that you found windshields, but how was the cost? Did you find the window gasket at a good price, and who has it nowadays? I had to get a windshield for my Model 15, and I found one from a dealer in Connecticut who said they are still making 15 windshields, but that they can not get Model 10 ones anymore because their source stopped making them.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
jcb

Post by jcb »

Hello Walter,
Good to hear from you, and no, I did not receive the mails. Sorry, as I would have responded immediately. Thought you just gave it up. Regardless, I did get it taken care of by State Farm. They sourced a glass company out of South Bend Indiana, who found one and sent it here. It’s sitting at the glass place waiting for spring. Goodson also still has some in stock, although the price was fair, the packing and shipping was steep. That’s why I decided to try through the insurance. Seems to have worked out.I purchased a gasket from a guy on Facebook, but now I find that it’s for a Model 15. On the hunt now for a 10. The 15 will work, but they’ll have to cut to fit, and you never know how well that will work, so there you go. Hope all is well in Ohio, and I appreciate the post.

Jim
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
http://www.thejimcummingsband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Jim,

The quick summary of the three messages that did not get through your Email, was that it was not a problem that I worked on the side window, since they all will be coming out eventually, and that the two windshields are in good shape with no chips, cracks, or scratches, but that the gaskets are dry and hard, and not reusable. Is that Soundsta******** Email address not viable anymore, or did the messages end up in a spam folder?

How long is the windshield gasket you got? Without measuring it exactly, I think I need about 15 feet for the Model 15 windshield, on each side. The gaskets I have are soft and pliable, but one never knows until you actually start working it. The gasket on mine (picture attached) is almost 1 3/4" wide on the outside. I don't know if all the years of Model 15's had the same gasket profile. When you look through gasket catalogs, there are so many styles, and you can't tell what the profile is until you get it apart. I'm surprised that they used a different one on the Model 10's. The single Model 15 windshield I got from Connecticut cost $285, crated, and shipped by truck to Ohio in two days. How does that compare to the Model 10 windshield?
Attachments
001.JPG
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
jcb

Post by jcb »

Hi Walter!
I did reply once from my iPhone, and obviously it didn't go through.......here's another try. My email is; soundsta@net-link.net and I re-looked for your emails to me.....................nothing. I don't know what the deal is, but the forum works too.
1- I just measured the rubber I have for the window replacement, and it is the same as yours. I spoke with Daniel Lenz, and he said that since it is a Model 15 gasket, it will be too long for the 10, but that the glass company should know how to trim it. I hope so, or they will be using the existing, original gasket again. It doesn't look horrible, but I'd rather have the newer one put in. I went to the glass company, and decided to wait till spring to install, as they don't have a bay long enough to get my Eagle in, and it's very cold in Michigan right now. They are alright with that, and so am I........starting that thing would be a bear. After the front passenger side windshield is replaced, I will try and replace the door windows, as they have gotten the "fog" in the lower part and some in the upper end too. Not a big deal, but it will look nicer. Then I'm going to try and replace as many of the tail lenses as I can find, along with various other exterior parts and a full paint job in the spring. I bagged the failed driver side torsilastic this year with a great design by a guy named Perley Benson, that works spectacularly well, and was not a huge pain to do either. My front driver is failing too, but not all the way there yet. I'll decide on a fix when it get's there..... probably have one more adjustment left in it. The passenger side seems to be holding up well so far. Other than that, the old bird is running well, and the usual endless little things. I did find out that it was one of Journey's Tour busses of the 80's, so that's a cool thing. Hope you are well, and your relaxing during the Ohio winter.............talk soon.

Jim
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
jcb

Post by jcb »

By the way, Walter....to answer your other question about cost. I had priced, and planned on purchasing the windshield from Goodson. I considered their price of $250.00 fair. But since the packing and shipping took it up to around $500.00+, I thought I'd try and put it through my insurance company. They did cover it, and went through their channels to purchase the window. I bought the gasket myself, but they took care of the window and shipping and I'm all set. Goodson's is a very good company, and I felt badly about going elsewhere, but the insurance people had their own sources.

There you go....

JIm
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Well, it looks like getting a Model 15 windshield for $285, crated & shipped was a good deal, especially considering that it is bigger than the Model 10. Their crate was elaborate with cushion mounts and tilt sensors. I don't know how Goodson would have packaged it. When I bought two upper skylight windows from them years ago, they were shipped in a cardboard box. I am planning on doing my Model 15 windshield during the winter myself, since the local places want about $650 to install. I have a 66' long space I can put it in, but I have to finish some other projects first.

Tell us more about Perley Benson's suspension kit. I assume it might be an airbag addition to boost the torsilastic's. Is it just for the rear's, how pricey is it? There have been many versions of air bag additions over the years that were custom fabrications, but I don't recall anybody selling a kit for self installation.

My Model 10 Senator Entertainer was last used by Gospel Groups, and my Model 15 was "Rodeo Rose II", which was used for rodeo performers. Being used by Journey ranks higher in coolness.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
jcb

Post by jcb »

Well you DID get a heck of a deal on the window. But it's a load to get it installed! Oh well....it is what it is.
Perley's bag thing is a design, not a kit. I'll see if I can russle up the papers and info that he sent me when I was doing it in July. Scott Crosby helped me get it in, amongst other things.Took a couple of hot 8 hour days. While I was doing it though, Neil Fluit from the new Eagle Company had Perley send him the info,with the idea that they build kits. I really hope they do, because these old busses are all going to degenerate sooner or later, and the cost to keep them perfectly OEM will get so high that they'll start getting sent to the metal yard. That would be a shame. I just accumulated the bags, steel, and plates (from ALRO Steel) and air gear myself, and fabricated according to his design. Cost me around $500 to buy the pieces, and around 7-800 to pay Scott (with my help) to get that sucker in. The nice thing was that I could repair any problems in the wheel well I saw while we were in there. Obviously WAY better than 5-10,000 for new or used torsilastics and someone spending days putting them in. Just sayin.......
Yeah, the Journey thing is cool....when I take it to a gig, lots of people are determined to get a tour and a picture. Fun. By the way......mine is a Senator Coach too!
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

I assume the air bag addition is functioning okay, did you add it to both sides, or just the driver's side that was sagging? How does one get in touch with Perley Benson?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

There has been quite a bit of discussion about adding aig bags to both the drive axle and the front axle. Two of the best threads are listed below.

http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... b9de14d7e4

http://eagles-international.net/forums/ ... b9de14d7e4

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.