Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Replacement Belt

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Florida Eagle
FMCA #: F463073
Bus Model: 1989 Silver Eagle/Model 20

Replacement Belt

Post by Florida Eagle »

Hello,

My 1989 Silver Eagle / Detroit Diesel 6v92 turbo / has one big belt running off the crankshaft. The belt is 1.5 inches wide with central vee inside. I measured about 39” from outside pulley to outside pulley. Someone long ago hand wrote 204-0736-121 on outside of belt. My web searches for replacement have been dry & frustrating. Any ideas on replacement size?
Thanks!
Steven
1989 Silver Eagle, NJT Model 20
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
(Converted NJ Transit Bus)
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Replacement Belt

Post by rusty »

It sounds like you have the belt. Sounds like you have a banded belt Can you measure the belt? You can figure the length but you have to measure the pully sizes and do some math and then you will be close and by trial and error you will get it figured out. The banded belts are not cheap and the parts house will not just order one to try. You might have to use a single belt to try until you get the correct length. Jim is the belt guy around here and will know better than I

Wayne
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Thanks, yes I have the belt but it’s showing some wear in one spot. I will measure the belt as accurately as I can.
Steve
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Is this something NAPA would stock?
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I can't quite picture the application. The Earlier Eagles with 6V92 had a miter box off of the crank with one side going to the AC compressor and one side going to the alternator/fan drive. Obviously yours is different.

If you can post a couple of pictures of the application, maybe we can sort this out.

The question about NAPA: I am sure they could get you the belt, but their folks are more tuned in to automotive belts and Eagle used mostly industrial belts. If we can't sort it out here, you could take the belt to an industrail power transmission house (look for Motion Industries in your area). They will likely have someone who can identify the belt.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Appreciate your expertise! I will post some photos. Yes, there is only the one big belt going from crank to drivers side pulley, which I think is alternator.
Attachments
C42502C1-85C0-4762-9866-B3AD0D22A13F.jpeg
FBB7A9DC-3B5D-4134-A2F5-5DD85E745989.jpeg
DFB87A14-1620-4C05-832D-818AC8B9DE8A.jpeg
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

That is a two strand "joined" belt. It is an industrial belt. Joined is the industry term. Gates trade name is Powerband.

There are two categories of joined belts: Narrow (3V, 5V, 8V) and Classical (A, B, C, D). My guess is that it is a classical category belt. Within these categories are two types of construction: "wrapped" construction (belt has fabric all around the belt) and "raw edge" (you can see the layers of belt construction and this construction generally has notches). Your belt looks like a "raw edge" belt. Either belt construction should work fine.

My guess is that it is a 2 strand "B" section belt. If it is the groove top width is approximately 5/8 inch and the spacing between the grooves between the grooves would be .75 inches. A "C" section belt would have a groove top width of approximately 7/8 inch and the groove spacing would be 1.0 inches.

In the photo you can see a bit of the belt label. You might luck out and get the actual belt size off the belt.

As Wayne said, these belts can be pricey. If you can identify the exact belt, you could do some online shopping. I did not spend much time searching, but the following site seems to have decent prices for a premium Gates wrapped belt: http://www.biedlers-belts.com/powerband ... rands.html

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Thanks so very much for the great information! This really helps.
Steve
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA