Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

EAGLE WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS

This forum will archives technical threads that are unique to Eagle Buses. There will be one thread for general comments, but the technical threads will be locked. The intent is to have a repository for detailed technical information that can be of prime importance to an Eagle Bus Owner. New threads can only be created by the forum administrators.
SmoothJazz

EAGLE WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS

Post by SmoothJazz »

I felt that this should be a separate topic.

Alignment always starts with the drive axle. You want your drive axle aligned with the frame of the coach. We call this the thrust angle. A simple check that you can do is this:

Park your coach straight on a level hard surface.

Drop a plumbob from a common point on each outer most point of the drive axle housing. For instance, you may use one of the bolts that mounts the stabilizer bar to the drive axle housing.

A plumbob is a string with a ball and pointer attached to it.

Let the plumbob hang freely until it stabilizes and do not let it touch the concrete surface below.

After it is stabilized, mark the ground where the pointer is. do this on both sides of the drive axle. Now you have two marks on the ground.

Now take your plumbob to the front center casting between the torsion bars.

Drop the plumbob from the center of this casting and mark the ground.

Next, remove the coach from where it is parked and then take a measurement from each mark at the drive axle to the front center mark. They should be the same measurement. If not, then you know how much you will need to adjust the drive axle.

Adjutment on the drive axle thrust angle is accomplished through the stabilizer bar.

Next you want to align the bogie or tag wheels to the drive axle.

You will need a ten foot straight edge and your tape measure.

Set the straight edge horizontal against the center of the outer drive axle tire with the other end extending forward through the center of the bogie or rearward through the center line of the tag.

While holding the straight edge, have another person measure from the straight edge to the outer walls of the tire on the bogie or tag. Compare the measurements, they should be the same or the measurement on the front should be no more than 1/16" greater than the measurement on the rear. Now you know what your toe setting is on the bogie or tag. It should be Zero to 1/16" toe in.

Camber setting for the bogie or tag can be checked using a level.

Hold the level vertical against the centerline of the wheel. Check the bubble on your level, it should be centered. If not, you will actually have to install a camber gauge on the spindle to get the actual degree setting so you will know how many degrees to adjust it.

Alignment settings on the bogie or tag is done with tapered shims installed between the spindle and fixing arms.

Next you want to check the front end.

Make sure your coach is parked straight.

To check the front end for toe, take a tape measure and measure from the centerline of the tires on the rear of the tires from side to side. Record the measurement.

Now take a measurement from the centerline of the tires on the front of the tires from side to side.

These measurement should be the same or the rear measurement should be no more than 1/16" greater than the front measurement.

Toe is adjusted through the intermediate tube on the steering.

To check for camber, do the same as what you did on the bogie or tag.

These are just quick checks you can do without going to an alignment shop. Make sure you do not have any worn tie rod ends or steering components. Anytime you replace any tie rod ends or any cross pins and bushings, you will need to have the alignment redone.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask as I know this may sound confusing to anyone who is not familiar with the alignment process.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
SmoothJazz

Re: EAGLE WHEEL ALIGNMENT CHECKS

Post by SmoothJazz »

Adjusting the suspension will change your alignment; therefore, always set your suspension first and then align your coach.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Dan,

I made it a sticky, as I feel it should be at the top with your other important technical posts.

Thank You for taking the time to share this important information.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Dan,
I have been reading intenly all your instructions for all our Eagle wheel alignment procedures and what a great bunch of information you gave us and thank you for the time in doing this. I am a (pia) probably but I have studied mine today per one of your instructions concerning the DRIVE WHEEL alignment and have a couple of photos for you to see and questions, (as usual).

My drive wheel stabilizer adjustments arms were all welded as you can see in photos and what I did to rebuild them I think I explained pretty clear and hope I did alright in what I did. I had to do some machining of the actual rod, retapping of the threads inside of the main body of the rod, find new thread rod, not cheap either, assemble all parts and weld the rod in place and install new assemble and locking nuts. (pia) too!!
I am also sending a photos of my left drive torsilastic without the stabilizer rod assembled but for the purpose of my question lets assume it assembled.

1) When you adjust the stabilizer arm where is the actual movement allowed to take place if adjustment is needed for straightness to frame?

2) Is the adjustment movement in the shackles that allow for the twist of the drive wheels to move and is there a dimension we should be aware of for the center of the drive wheels to be close to before adjusting as a staring point?

As you can see I am starting from scratch, I have to find the dimension needed to align my drive wheels as my darn stabilizer was welded for some reason, this baby must of been launched off an air craft carrier or something to have to do all I have so far.

Now for the photos:

Right now this information is just getting me familiar with what you instruct we should do and I am not sure when that will be when I am ready. I am a little confused about the measuring point you recommend in your instructions with the plumb bob (now take your plumbob to the front center casting between the torsion bars?). I am not sure of what you mean and can you explain to me using my photo I sent you with the cleaned and painted drive torsilastic?

I hope I have not caused any confusion to anyone on this post.
Thanks Dan ahead of time. I am really sure I will have more questions as I get near that point but this information is great to read over and over and sink in.

Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Gary,

Call me tomorrow to discuss your questions. I am sorry that I have not got back to you sooner.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Daniel,
Thank you so much for the information you gave me today, this board is so good to have such experts we can depend upon concerning our great Eagles and not be misled.

Thanks again,
Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Gary,

You are always welcome as is everybody on this board. Thank you for the compliment. I am glad that I can be of help.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

white-eagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F317690
Bus Model: 1991 Eagle Motorcoach Model 15

Post by white-eagle »

i'm still lost with this alignment on front axles. i'm told my front left is out of camber by 1.7 deg, right is ok at .7 deg.
i read the posting, but i don't see an adjustment instruction? Just how to tell if it is out which i now know.

it pulls to the right when driving, which some is probably due to road grade, but goes immediately right if i let go the wheel for a few seconds. Doesn't pull as much if i'm in the center lane. i also did try to move more weight to the left where i think more weight need to be, but what i moved was maybe 150lbs.

the new scale should be in today. now if i can find where to get the wheel brackets shown in the manual?
Tom and Fran (Bandit RIP 10/10, 16 yrs),
91 Eagle Model 15, 8V92T, 740
Working, traveling and living in the bus.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Tom,To adjust the camber on an Eagle you add or subtract shims behind the upper torsilastic bushings. I can't remember if positive camber is when the top of the tire is out or in. I think positive is out and if it is that means you have to take some shims out and pull the top of the tire back toward the bus. You must take out the same amount of shims on both the front and back torsilastic bushing. The 16 bolts that hold the bushings on are usually rusted so start soaking them with some penetrating oil a week before you start. If this answer is completly confussing cal me and I will walk you through it.

Good luck Wayne
303-591-0372
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Tom, those brackets are easy to build but I just put my jack under the arms or axles only problem it is hard to drink a cold one laying down.

good luck
Clifford