Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Generator

This forum will archives technical threads that are unique to Eagle Buses. There will be one thread for general comments, but the technical threads will be locked. The intent is to have a repository for detailed technical information that can be of prime importance to an Eagle Bus Owner. New threads can only be created by the forum administrators.
JKHurt
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle Model 10

Generator

Post by JKHurt »

I have an 82 model 10 and I have removed the old AC compressor. My question to all of you is, is there a possibility of using that old pto shaft to run a pto driven generator? I'm doing a complete remodel of this bus and just thought this would be a great money saver. Thank you in advance for your answers!!!
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Generator

Post by beltguy »

Hi Jamie

The answer is yes, with a lot of rigging you could hook up something like a tractor PTO mount generator (assuming you are talking about generating 120 V AC power).

The question is why? Likely, you have a 50D alternator on the radiator side that is rated at something like 270 amps (at 12V). That is huge. When combined with good inverter and a decent battery bank, it will provide you with lots of 120V AC going down the road. Some folks even run a roof air off that type of system.

Even if your 50D has shot craps, or has been removed, it might be easier to hook up a large capacity truck type alternator that is belt driven off the engine.

The other issue is that the aux. generator will not do you any good while you are parked.

If you already have a PTO type AC generator, you could consider hooking it up to an engine of some sort and use it when you are parked. Even that might be a challenge since you would need some sort of control to maintain an engine/generator speed that gives you the correct frequency.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
JKHurt
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle Model 10

Re: Generator

Post by JKHurt »

Thank you Jim. That is why I asked. Didn't realize there was that many amps coming off that alternator. I'll be asking more Jim. Thank you.