Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Cold Weather Stories

This is a place just for the ladies. Sure, the ladies love the Eagles too, but maybe they have other interests too. This is their place to talk about anything they want. Men, you can read, but posting is reserved for the ladies. The same rules of good taste we use for the rest of the forum also apply here.
Speck
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle 01

Cold Weather Stories

Post by Speck »

OK, ladies, here is my cold weather story of this week. I suspect some of you may have stories to add, so please do!

Many of you know, Paul and I are full timers. What you may not know is that we moved (last week) to Georgetown, TX. Paul is doing some contract work for the next 6 months here. Georgetown is in the Austin area and snow and ice are almost foreign words here.....except for our first week here! We had 3.5 days of below freezing weather and windchills of 0 and below. We diligently did all the 'right' things to be prepared for the winter blast - heat tape on our water line into the coach, foam rubber thingy over that, left the water dripping ever so slightly in the kitchen faucet. Yep, we were feeling pretty smug about our precautions.

WELL, Mother Nature outsmarted us around 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday night - no more drip, drip, drip. (We do not have any heat in the bays where the tanks are and whatever else down there that matters. What do I know!) So, for the next 2.5 days we had NO water, unless you counted the 20 oz. bottles of Walmart water we keep on hand. You do realize, not only could we not shower or wash dishes, but also usual toileting became ..... rough. We awoke to 2" of snow this morning, over a good layer of ice. (I know, we were lucky; other parts of the country had it much worse.) Behold though, by 10:00 a.m. the clouds parted, blue sky appeared and the sun began to shine. Temps finally reached 42 degrees and by 3:00 p.m. we had running water and were able to take showers. (I never knew my hair could be that flat without being wet! I was afraid to even go into WalMart for fear of someone taking a picture and posting it in an e-mail along with other shoppers. Sure glad there is no such thing as smellavision - we were getting pretty ripe!) Needless to say, I feel like a new woman and can't quite recall ever enjoying a shower so much. I smell great now too. Paul smells good, looks like himself again with a fresh shaved face.

It could have been much worse. We were warm and we had plenty of food on hand, electricity did not go out and we had TV and laptops and each other.

Lesson learned: Never be too smug because Mother Nature is always in control. From now on, when a winter storm is predicted no matter where we are, we will make sure to have gallon jugs of water on hand, just in case.

Your turn. Please chime in. Early Happy Valentine!
Becky aka Mrs. Dreamscape
1968 Silver Eagle 01
dukedelmar
FMCA #: 414876
Bus Model: 1974 Silver Eagle 05

Re: Cold Weather Stories

Post by dukedelmar »

I chuckled at the flat hair and fear of going to Walmart...believe me when I say I see folks in there that have not showered in much longer than 3 or 4 days! Oh...and just put on a hat...they cover the worst of hair!!
Bus life is always an adventure, huh?

Hoping that the worst of the winter is now over!!

Pam
Speck
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle 01

Post by Speck »

Well, Pam, I did put on a black knit cap last night when we went in, but felt as though they'd think I was there to rob them. All they could see were blue eyes and a pale face! We looked for gloves and would you believe they didn't have a single pair of women's or children's gloves? Austin just isn't prepared for this kind of weather.
Becky aka Mrs. Dreamscape
1968 Silver Eagle 01
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

LeRoy and I are full timers, too. We're in Arizona but still didn't escape the cold. Having been in Kansas in November and December, we were prepared with thermostatically controlled light bulbs in the wet bays and we left cabinet doors open to let heat in to the plumbing. Our whole park was without water, but fortunately we had a mostly full tank of fresh water.
Becky, I'm so amused with your post! People of Wal-Mart would not be a good place to make your internet debut!

Lady Liberty
Anne Willis
2010liberty.wordpress.com