Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

SOMEONE YOU SHOULD KNOW

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
BoxcarOkie

SOMEONE YOU SHOULD KNOW

Post by BoxcarOkie »

MR. Sonnie Gray is a guy I met at the Eagles Afton Lake Rally. Since then he has done extensive work on my old bus, and we have made some radical changes to Daddy’s Hobby. I would also like to point out or mention at this time, Sonnie Gray is also my coffee drinking-breakfast buddy.

There is an old adage in life that goes something like this “One hand washes the other.” That is what this post is all about. It is not about me, my bus, or anything else, it is about Sonnie Gray.

It has been a long time since I posted anything over here, I kind of acquired a reputation of “vendor bashing” by a few of the members (which by the way, I still maintain is unwarranted). But this post is not about that, it is about the current president of this outfit and my friend, Sonnie Gray.
So to them I say ... Relax.
If you don’t know it by now, you should. It is my character or my makeup to express my displeasure with people who jack me around and I will continue to do so in the future. It is also part of my responsibilities to point out the “good alongside of the bad.” In other words ... You should never forget the hand that helps you up or the boot that shows you the door.
Last year I had the misfortune of breaking down in Las Vegas and I had to limp home on temporary repairs. Not a good trip by any stretch of the imagination and it was as I am sure John Mellis would agree, a total let down.

On that day, our very own Black Friday in the desert, I called Sonnie and told him what the problem was and took some photo’s of the air bag setup and what some awfully bad road had done to it. He told me to “get it home” and we would fix it. This was somewhat complicated because Williams bus (Sadie) was sitting in the hole that my bus (Daddy’s Hobby) needed to homestead.
We worked out all the details on what we needed to do to get my old hoopie back up and running and get me and the wife out of the foot-patrol. I sat back and waited for an opportunity to get this work done. I had Sonnie’s complete assurance that it would be done, “just as soon as was humanely possible to move Williams bus” out of the shop for a period of six hours or more in order to do the repairs.
Some nine months later, the repair window opened and we stuck the old bus in the shop, we beefed it up (didn’t trust the welds out of Nevada) and Sonnie as he had previously promised “made it right.”
(Just give me a little time Don and I will make it right was the exact quote I believe.)
So here I am today, sort of preaching to the choir and testifying that Sonnie, my friend, is a cracker-jack fabricator and a good mechanic. He has once again, bailed me out of my bad situation, he was fair, reasonable and above all honest about the entire mess. And I just wanted him to know that I personally appreciated all of his labor, and efforts in my behalf.
Mr. Gray is a nice guy and I hope all of his dreams in life come true, he surely is deserving.

Ask him about it, maybe he will share it with you too.

Image[/center]

Having rambled on far too long, I will close off with what Clifford has said in the past. “Sonnie Gray is not only a good mechanic and fabricator, he is also a standup, nice guy and my friend.” William's bus and my old hoopie are workin examples of his craftsmanship.

Daddy’s Hobby is currently parked unceremoniously down the street from a tank farm in Houston, Texas. As we were unable to secure a RV spot (another story) we have found a nice wide church parking lot our temporary home until Saturday.
We pounded about about 350 miles yesterday in the 60-65 MPH neighborhood and conserved a little high dollar fossil fuel, The old 892T Detroit purrs like a kitten, you can have your series 60 and all that other jazz. An old two-stroke running down the highway with a little tailwind, sounds better than a Trace Adkins CD. It is good to have it back on the highway and fixed.
One thing has changed, and that is the speed. We now drop it in 5th, put it up on the pipe, set back and listen to the CD player and pull down the miles ... It is nice, to relax and watch the mile-markers disappear. It took a little while to get back here but all good things come to he who waits.
Like my friend Bernice says ..... Life Is Good.
So there it is, “credit given where credit is due.” Sonnie Gray is someone in this loose knit bus nut fraternity you should know, and if you have not made his acquaintance, you should. Sonnie’s birthday is the 29th of this month, he will be older than dirt itself. Send him a card or give him a call. I can assure you it will be well received.

Watch those right-handers ....

BCO

1983 Silver Eagle 10-S
Life Is Short ... Enjoy The Ride.
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Re: SOMEONE YOU SHOULD KNOW

Post by Eagle Andy »

Very well said Don, Glad to see you post again. Keep the shinney side up.
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Well spoken Don you really missed a lot not getting to know Pattie the other half of a great couple she taught him everything he knows lol

Clifford
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Great to see someone giving positive remarks about someone most of us have known for some time.

Good to see you back also.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

Hello Don, Wow, Its Been Awhile...... How Are You My Friend.. Hey, Is That Van In That One Picture ?? I Can Tell By T-Shirt ... :lol:

Great Words Don.... Sonnie Is A Nice Guy, Period . :D

I Look Forward To The Day I Can Hang Out With Him Again.... And Little Bit Tooooo. :!:

And Dont Be Bashing Us S60 Guys....... I Take Offence.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10-4

MrBreeze
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

MrBreeze wrote:Hello Don, Wow, Its Been Awhile...... How Are You My Friend.. Hey, Is That Van In That One Picture ?? I Can Tell By T-Shirt ... :lol:

Great Words Don.... Sonnie Is A Nice Guy, Period . :D

I Look Forward To The Day I Can Hang Out With Him Again.... And Little Bit Tooooo. :!:

And Dont Be Bashing Us S60 Guys....... I Take Offence.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10-4

MrBreeze
Yes, that is Van in the picture, he was of immense help during this process. I could not have made it without him. Coachnet wasn't all that helpful, but Van was!

I am not back. Just wanted to blow Sonnie a kiss and tell him thanks (we have officially bonded now).

Currently deep in the heart of the Lone Star state burning copious amounts of fossil fuel and like a fly at a picnic, buzzing around everyone and irritating the fizz out of them.

Here is today's offering about it ... Northbound Camper it can be found here: http://boxcarokie.com/2012/05/23/northbound-camper/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or just click on the website link below, either way will get you there.

I now leave you once again to your amusements, miles to go before I sleep.
Like the little woman is fond of saying .... Doesn't get any better than that.

Watch those right handers ....

BCO
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Don, that was a funny tome you wrote on bull haulers. I stay way, way away from them for the obvious reasons, mainly "leakage". Reminds me of a great license plate we saw on the back of a bull hauler's trailer (along with the obligitory cow bell). It read: Just Another Shitty Day In Paradise", lol. Take care.
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

Boomer wrote:Don, that was a funny tome you wrote on bull haulers. I stay way, way away from them for the obvious reasons, mainly "leakage". Reminds me of a great license plate we saw on the back of a bull hauler's trailer (along with the obligatory cow bell). It read: Just Another Shitty Day In Paradise", lol. Take care.
Thanks Boomer ... Hey Sonnie?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUDE!

(HOPE THE SMOKE DETECTOR DOESN'T GO OFF WHEN YOU BLOW OUT THE CANDLES)

Has the wrecker shown up yet?

BCO
ldsrr91@gmail.com