Website Home | Info & Posts | Club Membership | Eagle History | Contact Us

On Top (The Roof)

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
On Top (The Roof)
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:23 am

I've wondered while looking at these clean buses with straight lines how strong the roof/top is. It looks like none of the eagles I've seen use any type of roof rack or even a ladder to go up. What is the best way to wash or wax the top? Does anyone use the top for storage of any kind? I know there are ac units, satellite dishes, cameras and lights. What other uses have been found if any?

This may belong in the general section and feel free to move or edit this post.

Barry
History

Re: On Top (The Roof)
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 am

Barry The roof is strong enough to walk on I tend to stay on the ribs. If it was foamed then it is safe to walk anywhere. I am getting old and use the forklift to get on the top. I use to use a movable catwalk but required standing on the rail to get on top. I for one do not like to but to much stuff on the roof, but I have seen all kinds of stuff up there. ( stand up solar panels, Observation decks with access thru the roof)

Wayne
rusty
Board Member
Board Member

Re: On Top (The Roof)
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 am

Interesting question.

I would guess that Eagle did not design the roof with extra loads/stuff in mind. Aside from some very infrequent maintenance on passenger buses, there would be no need to be on the roof.

However, I suspect they put a lot of thought and design effort into crash worthiness and the roof would have to withstand a lot of loading in a roll over situation. We benefit from that design.

As Wayne said, you can walk on the roof all day and not cause damage. I, too, try to walk/stand on the cross member (can see with the rivets).

With the curved surface, special care must be taken to prevent falling off - especially if the roof is wet from washing. I try to work on mine in the shop with my fall protection, if possible.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission - not at all fancy, but fully functional
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: http://beltguy.com/blog/
Email: jim@eaglesinternational.net (Please email me rather than use the PM process)
beltguy

Return to Eagle Bus Life